THE APPLICATION IS FOR AN ENABLING GRANT THAT:
- lasts for one year and, in exceptional circumstances, may be extended for one further year
- is tenable at internationally recognised institutions and agencies of further and higher education.
- is open to persons of outstanding ability between the ages of 18 and 40 years
- citizens of the Commonwealth Caribbean or anyone of whose parents or grandparents is or was a citizen of the Commonwealth Caribbean.
- who intend to pursue a course of postgraduate study or research in a subject relevant to the development needs of Barbados and the Caribbean.
THE VALUE of an Enabling Grant is fixed by the Trustees in each case, having regard to the needs and resources of the candidate and the cost of fees, maintenance, books, insurance, travel and other expenses incurred in pursuing the course of study. Candidates should be aware that the grant will be a contribution towards the cost of study and they will therefore be expected to satisfy the Trust that they are able to secure the remaining funds from other sources. Payments are made to the institution and/or the scholar, as directed by the Trustees. A REFUND to the Trust may be required if the conditions of the grant are not complied with substantially in terms of the application and the award.
CRITERIA FOR THE SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS OF AWARDS:
Persons of high intellectual and academic achievement;
Persons of integrity
Persons with respect for other people
Persons with leadership qualities
Persons with a high capacity for sustained hard work
Scholars must begin their courses at the time and institution approved by the Trustees. No change can be made without the express permission of the Trustees.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE ON THE OFFICIAL FORMS.
These forms are:
FORMS MUST BE COMPLETED IN FULL AND ACCOMPANIED BY THE FOLLOWING:
1. Evidence of Citizenship
2. Certified copy of graduate degree or diploma **
3. Evidence of at least one conditional acceptance by the educational institution for the proposed course of study.
4. Statement of available funds.
** Do not send copies of CXC and CAPE results.